- Instant Replay - Can you play this to affect a run-back? Also, if something like Establish the Run is in effect can you apply that bonus to a run-back challenge?[Back to top]
Cards cannot be used to directly affect a "quick challenge" such as a kickoff unless they specifically say so. No, you cannot use either of these cards to affect a kickoff.
- Cards such as Bad Spot, Facemasking and Flush the Quarterback cause a loss of yardage. Can any of these be used on a Defensive Play where the objective is incomplete? That doesn't seem consistent.[Back to top]
In this case, though the objective is merely to harass the Quarterback, the Defense has managed to reach (and pull down) the QB behind the line of scrimmage. Treat a loss of yardage special result on these plays as a QB sack, and yes, the negative yardage is applied.
- Frontal Assault doesn't allow the defense to apply his Star Player's abilities on the next play. If I use a card which then injures his star player, what happens?[Back to top]
Before the next play, the Defense may, if he so chooses, take any or all players "off the field" by turning them over, deactivating the team card. This provides protection against most forms of injury. If he doesn't do this, the player is still out there and vulnerable. Some cards (such as 20 man brawl) will affect even inactive players.
- What is the definition of "winning action card?" We had the following situation last night: I was on offense, and won the play without any action cards being played. I played No Resistance and Holding for an additional 7 yards. Can Solid Impact be played to Negate either Holding or No Resistance? Also, could the defense attempt to catch the penalty on Holding?[Back to top]
No resistance is used when there isn't any "winning action card" to allow you to generate one. Solid Impact would negate the Holding bonus, and yes, you are getting the benefit of Holding and can be called for the penalty. You ARE playing the action card (Holding), and must suffer its risks as well as its rewards.
- Solid Impact lets me negate the special result from a winning action card. Can I use this to negate the ability symbol granted by "In the Zone" (the text says "gain any one ability symbol")?[Back to top]
No. In the Zone is not a Challenge Action, and has no Special Result. Solid Impact has no effect against this card.
- Footrace and Test of Strength tell me to play extra symbols. Is this a secondary challenge? Do I get the benefits of any symbols I have already played?[Back to top]
In a normal Secondary Challenge you do get to use the symbols you have already built up. However, these are special cards which only take into account symbols played after the play is over.
- If I use a symbol action card for 2 Mental and 1 Power, do I have to decide which ability I'm using it for?[Back to top]
No, it gives you 2 symbols for any Mental requirements AND 1 Power. If the play requires Mental symbols and you later have a card come into play that says "treat Power ability symbols as Mental symbols", you get the benefit of the already-played Power symbol as well.
- Can Well Drilled Team be played at the end of a play where you didn't play any other action cards, thus starting the next play with 6 cards in your hand?[Back to top]
- Can Three and Out be used if the offense kicked a field goal?[Back to top]
- If Spontaneous Human Combustion takes out the ref, no penalties can be called for the rest of the game, correct?[Back to top]
Yes. There are cards which could reduce the damage, however.
- Twist of Fate "Negates" one action card. What does this do, exactly?[Back to top]
Treat it as canceling the targeted action card, as if the card had not been played. This does not cause any cards already played to be returned to the owner's hand, but may, for instance, remove a secondary challenge, or cause Power symbols which were converted to Mental symbols to revert.